SKOLA English in Exeter
“With a touch of buzzy, big city atmosphere, a large student population and a thriving arts scene. The city’s long heritage means there are plenty of monuments and historical attractions to occupy at least a day’s sightseeing, and the excellent selection of bars, cafes and restaurants make Exeter a vibrant place to be after dark.” - Lonely Planet
Video - SKOLA English in Exeter
Summary: A video profile of SKOLA English in Exeter in Devon, UK. With interviews of students, teachers, and principals.
Duration: Approximately 5 minutes.
Downloadable Version: exeter.zip 31Mb
Exeter itself is a small, accessible and safe university town and regional capital neighbouring two beautiful National Parks and the coast. The school is situated just one minute from the city centre and is close to all the facilities and services including shops and bus/train stations.
42 Longbrook Street,
+44 (0)1392 666 419
English courses in Exeter
Students are aged from 18 years although there may be an occasional student aged 16-17. Minimum enrolment period is 1 week. A maximum of 12 students in group classes ensures quality time with the teacher. Most courses are taught from elementary to advanced, although IELT S and Study & Work programmes are taught from Intermediate level.
Self Study materials are provided (books, software, etc.) to enhance the work done in class and there is free Internet Access to help students keep in touch with office, family and friends.
- General English 21 hours 09.30 – 13.00 Monday – Friday 14.00 – 15.30 Monday – Thursday
- General English 15 hours 09.30 – 13.00 Monday – Friday
- IELTS 30 hours 09.30 – 13.00 Monday – Friday 14.00 – 17.20 Monday to Friday IELTS
- IELTS 21 hours 09.30 – 13.00 Monday to Friday 14.00 – 15.30 Monday to Thursday IELTS
- IELTS 15 hours 14.00 – 17.20 Monday to Friday
- International Foundation Year - 09.30 –13.00 Monday to Friday 14.00 – 16.30 Monday to Thursday IELTS
All courses include breaks.
A choice of hours:
- 21 Hours per week mornings and afternoons
- 15 Hours per week mornings or afternoons only
Morning classes: The 15 hours programme covers all skills - speaking and pronunciation, listening, reading & writing, vocabulary and grammar.
Afternoon classes: The 21 hours programme, includes an added focus on communication and comprehension. There is a weekly tutorial with the class teacher.
There is a weekly tutorial with the class teacher during which the student can discuss their progress and decide with the teacher what they would like to study.
IELTS Preparation 15 hour programme: 15 hours of IELTS preparation in the afternoons.
IELTS Preparation 21 hour programme: 15 hours (mornings) of General English Study + 6 hours (afternoons) of IELTS preparation.
IELTS Preparation 30 hour programme: 15 hours (mornings) of General English Study + 15 hours (afternoons) of IELTS
Individual, tailor-made tuition where students can concentrate on areas of specific interest.
21 hours per week.15 hours in group classes in the morning followed by 6 hours of individual lessons in the afternoon. Students can concentrate on the language related to their own professional/personal areas of interest in the individual lessons.
The International Foundation Year (IFY) is a one year pre-university programme, including a significant degree of English language teaching. The programme is designed to provide you with an entry route to UK university programmes.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to apply to one of the 40 UK universities with which we have an agreement - please see www.skola.co.uk/IFYlist/ for a full list.
At a Glance
- Term 1: 29 September 2014 - 19 December 2014
- Term 2: 12 January 2015 - 20 March 2015
- Term 3: 13 April 2015 -29 June 2015
Study Hours: 25 hours per week
- English Language & IELTS Preparation
- Culture Studies
- Foundation Mathematics
- Introduction to Business, Accounting & Economics
Successfully completed secondary education in an appropriate range of subjects:
- Term 1 IELTS 4.5 or above
- Term 2 IELTS 5.5 or above
If you do not currently have this score you can follow one of our General English + IELTS courses prior to commencing the Foundation Programme.
Assessments and Examinations Assessments for all modules will be offered in a number of assessment cycles throughout the year. The modules are all assessed by either examination or coursework assignments
Maximum 20 students
Guaranteed Entry to University
We provide a guaranteed entry to Birmingham City University for students who gain an IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in any one component and an overall pass mark of 50% with no less than 40% in any one unit.
We are able to issue conditional offers too for some of our progression route universities.
For more details please contact us.
- Advanced English Language Skills
- English for Academic Purposes
- Study and Communication Skills
- Culture Studies
- Foundation Mathematics
- Introduction to Business
- Introduction to Accounting and Economics
- Optional Module: Introduction to IELTS
13.6 Work Experience Programmes
At SKOLA we offer work experience in London and Exeter in a wide variety of sectors. This is a great opportunity to spend time in the UK, perfect your English and gain valuable experience of the work place. Choose any length of study (from 4 weeks +) at either our London or Exeter schools followed by 4-24 weeks of Work Experience.
Where: Study in Exeter or London, the Work Experience will then usually be taken in either of these cities depending on your needs.
When: You can start any Monday throughout the year.
Where will I do my Work Experience: Administration, Travel & Tourism, Hospitality, Hotel & Catering, Sales, Marketing, Public Relations and Media.
What course will I study: Choose either 15, 21 or 30 hours of tuition per week for at least 4 weeks.
How long is the work experience: From 4 to 24 weeks.
What are the costs: Course fees start from £180 per week and to arrange your Work Experience we charge £450.
Will I get paid: Work Experience is not paid however it is common for companies to pay a small amount towards your daily travel costs and/or lunch. This depends on your experience and each company.
Who can apply: Any EU national who is at least 18 years old (EEA and Swiss nationals or Youth Mobility Scheme Visa holders, Tier 5).
How do I apply: Please send your course booking form, an up to date CV in English and application letter (both in Microsoft Word).
- Age: 18+. There may be an occasional student aged 16-17
- Class Size: Maximum of 12 students in group classes ensures quality time with the teacher
- Levels: All levels from elementary to advanced. Cambridge examination & IELTS Courses are Intermediate and above
- Minimum Enrolment: 1 week
- Self Study: Materials provided ( books, software...) to enhance the work done in class.
- Free Internet Access: To help students keep in touch with office, family and friend
- The school is situated just one minute from the city centre and is close to all the facilities and services including shops and bus/train stations.
- Exeter itself is a small, accessible and safe university town and regional capital neighbouring two beautiful National Parks and the coast. “Meet & Greet” service available
- Optional Social programme available, Weekly excursion & other activities. There is normally a charge for the social programme. Cost of excursions is approximately £20
The school offers an exciting social programme with weekend excursions to places of interest including Bath, Stonehenge, Bristol, the coast and the beautiful National Parks of Dartmoor and Exmoor. Activities during the week include international food evenings, bowling, cinema etc. The average cost of excursions is £20. There may be a charge for other activities. Spend the weekend in London – You can be in London in just 2.5 hours. Leave Exeter on Friday afternoon and return Sunday evening. The school will help with travel and accommodation in London.
- Standard Student Residence
- Superior Student Residence
- Homestay (half-board)
- Private home (bed and breakfast)
- Student Housing July-August only
- Airport Transfer Available
- “Meet and Greet” service available
All our accommodation providers have been selected by the SKOLA member of staff responsible for accommodation after inspection and chosen for the warmth of their welcome rather than their proximity to the school. Many are however located within walking distance of the school.
For more information about accommodation and welfare see - Adult Accommodation.
How to get to Exeter
If you are making your own way to Exeter:
Heathrow – Exeter
By Bus: There are 9 buses a day direct from the Central Bus Station at Heathrow to Exeter. The school can book seats and purchase tickets for you if required. For fares and times please see: www.nationalexpress.com
By Train: From Paddington you can catch a train to Exeter. For fares and times please see: www.nationalrail.co.uk
Gatwick – Exeter:
Catch the Gatwick Express: www.gatwickexpress.com - to Victoria coach station and then the coach to Exeter: www.nationalexpress.com or the train to Exeter from Paddington or Waterloo stations: www.nationalrail.co.uk
If you arrive at any other airport please ask for information about how to get to Exeter.
Policy and Information Documents