SKOLA English in Exeter
Dates: Year round
Location: Exeter (City Centre)
Accommodation: Homestay, Student Residence, Student House
Based in the heart of an ancient English cathedral city, this is a language school that will give you a flavour of England’s glorious heritage.
Video - SKOLA English in Exeter
Summary: A video profile of SKOLA English in Exeter in Devon, UK. With interviews of students, teachers, and principals.
Duration: Approximately 5 minutes.
Downloadable Version: exeter.zip 31Mb
English courses in Exeter
Students are aged from 18 years although there may be an occasional student aged 16-17. Minimum enrolment period is 1 week. A maximum of 12 students in group classes ensures quality time with the teacher. Most courses are taught from elementary to advanced, although IELT S and Study & Work programmes are taught from Intermediate level.
Self Study materials are provided (books, software, etc.) to enhance the work done in class and there is free Internet Access to help students keep in touch with office, family and friends.
Excellent Student Progress
On average our students progress from B1 to B2 or equivalent (IELTS 4.0 – 5.0) in only 12weeks. Based on internal school assessment & final IELTS exam.
Exeter is the capital city of the region of Devon, south-west UK and was voted University of the Year, College of the Year, Museum of the Year (2012). It is a beautiful and safe “English” city. It is a also a lively city with a big student population. The School is situated in the city centre very close to its modern shopping centre and bus/train stations.
42 Longbrook Street,
+44 (0)1392 666 419
Monday – Friday
15 hours - General English
09.30 - 13.00
15 hours - IELTS
14.00 - 17.15
21 hours - General English or IELTS
09.30 - 13.00 & 14.00 - 15.30 (not Friday PM)
30 hours - IELTS
09.30 - 13.00 & 14.00 - 17.15
All courses include breaks.
General English is our most popular course and students can choose to learn English as intensively as they wish:
- An initial Placement Test followed by an Oral Test on your first day
- A First Week Questionnaire on day 3
- Weekly self-study sessions during which your teacher will give you individualised work
- Tutorials in which the student and teacher negotiate and review learning goals
- Regular progress tests.
A choice of hours:
- 30 hours per week mornings and afternoons
- 21 hour per week mornings and afternoons
- 15 hour per week mornings or afternoons only
Half days: The 15 hour programme covers all skills - speaking and pronunciation, listening, reading & writing, vocabulary and grammar.
Full days: The 20/21 and 30 hour programmes include added focus on communication and comprehension - listening and speaking.
IELTS Preparation Courses
IELTS is a popular exam taken by students going to a UK university. Our programme helps you prepare for the exam. We then assist you in booking the exam if required. We have an excellent reputation for the speed at which our students improve their level.
- IELTS Preparation 15 hour programme: 15 hours of IELTS preparation in the afternoons.
- IELTS Preparation 21 hour programme: 15 hours (mornings) of General English Study + 6 hours (afternoons) of IELTS preparation.
- IELTS Preparation 30 hour programme: 15 hours (mornings) of General English Study + 15 hours (afternoons) of IELTS
Individual, tailor-made tuition where students can concentrate on areas of specific interest.
Business English & Combination Courses
21 hours per week.15 hours in group classes in the morning followed by 6 hours of individual lessons in the afternoon. Students can concentrate on the language related to their own professional/ personal areas of interest in the individual lessons for example Business, Medicine and Tourism.
International Foundation Programme
Business, Accounting & Economics
The International Foundation Year (IFY) is a one year pre-university programme, including a significant degree of English language teaching. The programme is designed to provide you with an entry route to UK university programmes.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to apply to one of the 40 UK universities with which we have an agreement - please see IFY List for a full list.
At a Glance
- Term 1: 29 September 2014 - 19 December 2014
- Term 2: 12 January 2015 - 20 March 2015
- Term 3: 13 April 2015 -29 June 2015
Study Hours: 25 hours per week
- English Language & IELTS Preparation
- Culture Studies
- Foundation Mathematics
- Introduction to Business, Accounting & Economics
Successfully completed secondary education in an appropriate range of subjects:
- Term 1 IELTS 4.5 or above
- Term 2 IELTS 5.5 or above
If you do not currently have this score you can follow one of our General English + IELTS courses prior to commencing the Foundation Programme.
Assessments and Examinations Assessments for all modules will be offered in a number of assessment cycles throughout the year. The modules are all assessed by either examination or coursework assignments
Maximum 20 students
Guaranteed Entry to University
We offer a guaranteed entry to Birmingham City University (IELTS 6.0 / 50% pass required, please contact us for full details).
Please also contact us for details of the Conditional Offers available.
- Advanced English Language Skills
- English for Academic Purposes
- Study and Communication Skills
- Culture Studies
- Foundation Mathematics
- Introduction to Business
- Introduction to Accounting and Economics
- Optional Module: Introduction to IELTS
Work Experience Programmes
For EEA and Swiss Nationals or Youth Mobility Scheme (Tier 5) Visa holders
We offer work experience in London and Exeter in a wide variety of sectors. This is a great opportunity to spend time in the UK, perfect your English and gain valuable experience of the work place. Choose any length of study (from 4 weeks +) at either our London or Exeter schools followed by 4-24 weeks of Work Experience. Work Experience is not paid however it is common for companies to pay a small amount towards your daily travel costs and/or lunch. This depends on your experience and each company.
Work Experience lasts 4-24 weeks and is available in:
- Travel & Tourism
- Hotel & Catering
- Public Relations and Media
Where: Study in Exeter or London, the Work Experience will then usually be taken in either of these cities depending on your needs.
When: You can start any Monday throughout the year.
What course will I study: Choose either 15, 21 or 30 hours of tuition per week for at least 4 weeks.
How long is the work experience: From 4 to 24 weeks.
Will I get paid: Work Experience is not paid however it is common for companies to pay a small amount towards your daily travel costs and/or lunch. This depends on your experience and each company.
Who can apply: Any EU national who is at least 18 years old (EEA and Swiss nationals or Youth Mobility Scheme Visa holders, Tier 5).
How do I apply: Email us your booking form, CV and application letter.
- Age: 18+. There may be an occasional student aged 16-17
- Class Size: Maximum of 12 students in group classes ensures quality time with the teacher
- Levels: All levels from elementary to advanced. Cambridge examination & IELTS Courses are Intermediate and above
- Minimum Enrolment: 1 week
- Self Study: Materials provided ( books, software...) to enhance the work done in class.
- Free Internet Access: To help students keep in touch with office, family and friend
- The school is situated just one minute from the city centre and is close to all the facilities and services including shops and bus/train stations.
- Exeter itself is a small, accessible and safe university town and regional capital neighbouring two beautiful National Parks and the coast. “Meet & Greet” service available
- Optional Social programme available, Weekly excursion & other activities. There is normally a charge for the social programme. Cost of excursions is approximately £20
What we recommend in Exeter
- National Parks: Dartmoor and Exmoor
- The Jurassic Coast is England’s first natural ‘World Heritage Site’
- Only 10 miles to the nearest beach
- Cycling & watersports on the river Exe
- Great Pubs and clubs
- London (2 hrs 20 mins), Stonehenge (2 hrs), Bath (1.5 hrs)
The school offers an exciting social programme with weekend excursions to places of interest including Bath, Stonehenge, Bristol, the coast and the beautiful National Parks of Dartmoor and Exmoor. Activities during the week include international food evenings, bowling, cinema etc. The average cost of excursions is £20. There may be a charge for other activities. Spend the weekend in London – You can be in London in just 2.5 hours. Leave Exeter on Friday afternoon and return Sunday evening. The school will help with travel and accommodation in London.
Welcome to SKOLA Exeter! Get your student card & open a bank account
We suggest: Visiting Exeter Cathedral
We suggest: Exploring Exeter with Red Coat Guided Tours
Trip to Bath
We suggest: Visiting the Jurassic Coast
Accommodation & Transfers
The school accommodation officer inspects all host families before we place a student in the house. We choose our families based on the warmth of the welcome they give our students and how well they look after the student. Choose from Bed & Breakfast, Half-Board or Self-Catering.
We offer a range of student residences in the city centre from just 2 minutes walk from the school. We have high quality ensuite studios such as the quality studios at Ironbridge and standard options. Please contact us for details and availability.
Student House (Summer Only)
During the months of July and August we have student homes available with private bedrooms and shared kitchen and bathroom facilities.
All our accommodation providers have been selected by the SKOLA member of staff responsible for accommodation after inspection and chosen for the warmth of their welcome rather than their proximity to the school. Many are however located within walking distance of the school.
For more information about accommodation and welfare see - Adult Accommodation.
How to get to Exeter
If you are making your own way to Exeter:
Heathrow – Exeter
By Bus: There are 9 buses a day direct from the Central Bus Station at Heathrow to Exeter. The school can book seats and purchase tickets for you if required. For fares and times please see: www.nationalexpress.com
By Train: From Paddington you can catch a train to Exeter. For fares and times please see: www.nationalrail.co.uk
Gatwick – Exeter:
Catch the Gatwick Express: www.gatwickexpress.com - to Victoria coach station and then the coach to Exeter: www.nationalexpress.com or the train to Exeter from Paddington or Waterloo stations: www.nationalrail.co.uk
If you arrive at any other airport please ask for information about how to get to Exeter.
Policy and Information Documents